Monday, October 26, 2009

Leader in the Field


In my interview with a leader in my field I interviewed Laurie Kuntz. She is a Child psychiatrist at the Children's Recovery center in Norman Oklahoma. The inpatient center focuses on youths from the ages of 5 to 18 with mental disorders, substance abuse issues, and with suicidal or homicidal crisis cases.   When the phone interview started I asked Laurie what the most difficult part of her job was and she responded: " Seeing some of the children having to face such traumatizing situations is absolutely heart-breaking. You can only hope that they will be able to live normal lives after the things that they have seen." I then asked what the most rewarding part of her job was and she stated that "seeing a youth face so much adversity and then watching them slowly overcome it."  Next I asked her about her leadership roles within the center and she responded that "it is my job to set an example for the other staff members as well as the patients. Many of them look to me in tense situations for guidance or support." I then asked her to give me her definition of leadership and she defined it as: "Any way of helping or influencing other people." She also added that without former leaders in her life she would not be where she is today. Additional reading can be found  at http://newsok.com/adolescent-center-gets-new-name-childrens-recovery-center/article/3329775

No comments:

Post a Comment